The Swinburne Art Collection was established by Swinburne's founder, George Swinburne, more than 100 years ago. The collection is comprised of approximately 200 works including paintings, commissioned portraits, photographs, a specially-commissioned tapestry, furniture and sculptures. Many of the works were created or donated by Swinburne staff, students and alumni.
The majority of the collection is on display in public areas of the University across all three campuses, where it can be accessed and enjoyed by the wider community. Whenever possible a digitally rendered copy of each art work has been made available online.
Short link for this page: https://commons.swin.edu.au/s/artcollection
Photograph taken by Swinburne student, Robert Pearce, as part of a design project in conjunction with the Hawthorn Historical Society.
Artist's notes: Note fence, points of roofline and griffin, windows. Photograph taken by Swinburne student, Joan Walker, as part of a design project in conjunction with the Hawthorn Historical Society.
Norma Redpath was a student at Swinburne during the 1940s and had hoped to sculpt a major bronze piece for Swinburne's Advanced Technologies Centre, but sadly was unable to do so before passing away in 2013. With the assistance of family and donors, an unfinished piece by Ms Redpath commenced in 1982, Door to the Unknown, Monolith, was fabricated for Swinburne's Advanced Manufacturing and Design Centre. Throughout her career, Ms Redpath lived and worked in Australia and Italy, leaving a legacy of works such as the Treasury Fountain, Canberra and the Victorian Coat of Arms, commissioned for the National Gallery of Victoria. In 1970, Norma Redpath received an Order of the British Empire for her services to Australian art and sculpture, which was also recognised by Swinburne in 2006 when she was awarded an honorary doctorate. This photograph appeared in the Media Centre release, 'Norma Redpath's final sculpture calls Swinburne home', on 1 Jul 2015.
Painting donated by Swinburne alumnus/artist, Stephen Mar.
Completed Diploma of Art in the original Art School 1958-1960.
Realist artist, winner of various Art prizes.
Blue tone photograph of Nature's Flying Saucer, taken at Heard Island in 1948. Signed in lower right corner with title and date in lower left corner. Special notes: Group exhibition. The story behind the picture: "It was a beautiful day down on Heard Island in the south Indian Ocean back in 1948. It is unusual to have fine weather in these sub-antarctic latitudes. This great white cloud formed around midday caused by a 60 knot turbulence above the 9005 ft high ice mountain of Big Ben which is a dormant volcano still breathing. Down at the base camp we had no wind at all. Throughout the afternoon, this beautiful cloud just hung there, constantly changing in form and colour yet never moving away from over the mountain that formed it. Later as the sun went down, this beautiful cloud changed in colour from yellow to crimson and pure gold, then to magenta against an almost mauve sky, but I didn't have the colour film in those days capable of recording it in the rapidly dimming light. It was a ghostly image in the …
Photograph taken by a Swinburne student, as part of a design project in conjunction with the Hawthorn Historical Society.
Photograph taken by Swinburne student, Stuart Cole, as part of a design project in conjunction with the Hawthorn Historical Society.
Top floor, Swinburne Art School. One of a series of Brian Cleveland's signed pencil drawings of the Swinburne Art School, featuring the top floor. The building was designed by architect Robert J Haddon, 1917.
Red frame door, Swinburne Art School. One of a series of Brian Cleveland's signed pastel and watercolour drawings of the Swinburne Art School, featuring a red frame door. The building was designed by architect Robert J. Haddon, 1917.
Cibachrome photograph of Mini Italia, the Vatican, near Orsoletto Italy.
Signed lower right.